
HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIXPG-13 (for sequences of fantasy violence and frightening images) 2hrs 18mins
BREIF THOUGHTS: This used to be my least favorite HP book, but the movie may have changed my mind. The thematic connection I failed to glean from Rowling's sprawling narrative was cleanly and effectively presented in this latest installment. I loved it.
After hearing that Steve Kloves was not going to pen the Phoenix screenplay, I was worried. His screen adaptations of the first four books were spectacular (especially when you consider he was rewriting the planet's favorite living franchise). However, Mr. Michael Goldenberg stepped in to fill Kloves' shoes in fine fashion. I'd go so far as to call him brave seeing as how Phoenix was the longest book but the shortest movie.
I can't figure out why the 'word of mouth' on this film seems to be, at best, lackluster. While I'd agree with the critics who say movie #5 did nothing earth-shattering or inventive with regard to the HP world, I would also shrug my shoulders and say, "Who cares? Dark & dirty worked before and it works now." Bring on the next one. Amen.
NEXT UP: Who knows? With summer over, a few fall movies might be in order...
Till then...
CJW |