| Friday, August 25, 2006 |
| HOLLYWOODLAND |

HOLLYWOODLAND 2006 Rated R (language, sexual situations) Directed by: Allen Coulter Written by: Paul Bernbaum Starring: Adrian Brody, Ben Affleck, Diane Lane, and Bob Hoskins
Saw this movie last night at a preview screening down in Hollywood. The director stayed afterward for a Q&A. Tons of fun.
THE SCOOP (from rottemtomatoes.com): A uniquely compelling exploration of fame and identity. The drama, inspired by one of Hollywood's most infamous real-life mysteries, follows a 1950s private detective (Academy Award winner Adrien Brody) who, investigating the mysterious death of "Superman" star George Reeves (Academy Award winner Ben Affleck), uncovers unexpected connections to his own life as the case turns ever more personal. The torrid affair Reeves had with the wife (Academy Award nominee Diane Lane) of a studio executive (Academy Award nominee Bob Hoskins) might hold the key to the truth.
THE RESULT: A nice little film noir, with a much smaller scope than I had hoped. While I don’t think the film reached it’s true potential, it was a great watch. I love stories about old Hollywood. My main problem with the film was it’s lack of true noir flavor. Afterwards, the director mentioned that he didn’t want to get too heavy into typical or previously done noir fare. Why not? Mr. Coulter, we like film noir for a reason and we look for those telltale elements. Do we go to a western hoping that there won’t be horses, revolvers, a sweeping score with a dash of Spanish flavor, and a unique brand of prairie justice? No! Did the fact that every 1940-50’s noir had the same basic look and feel keep Billy Wilder, John Farrow, Carol Reed, and Otto Preminger from making Double Indemnity, The Big Clock, The Third Man, and Laura fit the mold? And does anyone ever fault those four movies? (If you haven’t seen any of these four, know that they are some of the greatest movies ever made.)
While the film was successful in weaving a dark tale, it could have been a bit more focused. Because the film explores each angle of George Reeves death, it has a tendency to loose momentum and detract attention from the more interesting points of the story. I understand that you don’t want to come right out and lie about a true-life event, but this is Hollywood, true stories can be fudged. Especially if it makes a better movie. JFK, anyone?
Overall, Hollywoodland is a good film with a great premise that's executed with a professional touch. And after hearing the director speak, I can say the film was certainly helmed by a guy who knew what he was doing. It’s very easy for us moviegoers to sit back and criticize films, but when the man who spent the last 3 years of his life guiding a project to life gets a chance for rebuttal, it’s worth it’s weight in gold. It helps remind us that no matter how large the Hollywood machine gets, it still takes flesh and blood to make a movie.
--CJW
P.S. Flawless performances from all cast members. Extra special kudos to Ben Affleck and Bob Hoskins. (I love Bob Hoskins.)
As an additional note, I had a dream last night that I was watching Superman Returns again. Boy, did I love that movie! |
posted by CJW @ 8/25/2006 11:39:00 AM   |
|
|
|
|
|