| Tuesday, June 27, 2006 |
| EXTENDED VACATION |
 As we get ready for the move, I find myself telling a lot of people (friends, acquaintances, the guy at the tire salon) about our life transplant. Absolutely everyone replies with, "Oh, this is the perfect time for you to do that. You are young, don't have kids to worry about..." etc.
Now, some folks may just be resorting to cliche' in order to fill the dead space between pleasantries. But the staggering frequency with which this phrase popped-up got me thinking. What is "that" that they refer to? What is "that" supposed to mean? What are Chris & Kerri doing by moving to California?
Judging by their tone and inflection (in addition to stricken faces), it seems most people think Kerri and I are merely embarking on either some sort of extended vacation or a fact-finding mission down the river Styx. (How cutely adventurous!) Either way, we are expected to return. That when the rigors of the real world hit (and we are no longer young and starry eyed) our California adventure will end. We will be forced, by the return of good sense and cold reality, to re-assimilate with the rest of the world once again.
I say nay. We are moving for evermore.
Kerri would say that I am reading far too much into regular over-the-counter banter and am therefore coming across as defensive (or pompous). Again, I say nay.
It is merely my intention to clarify that I do not find CA to be a far away land intended for fanciful sabbaticals. There is plenty of work to be done. There are communities -- that fit every taste and lifestyle -- to be lived in. There are many LCMS churches to explore (over 65 in the greater LA area). And there are plenty of good-natured people to share it all with. (There are the bad as well, but where aren't there? Springfield, Ohio has its share.)
So now that our* thesis has been nailed to the door... we welcome you to visit us in sunny California as we establish new roots!
--CJW
*Kerri could really care less about puffy decrees. Especially mine. |
posted by CJW @ 6/27/2006 07:18:00 AM   |
|
| 2 Comments: |
-
As I am moving to California too (I leave in 14 hours, not that I'm counting), but I find your comments to be true, especially the ones about the extended vacation. I tell people I'm moving to California and after the "Wow, bet that's exciting" comments, they ask, "For how long?" I tell them that I'm actually moving there and don't plan on coming back (except for the occassional holiday). I guess they've heard so many stories about Los Angeles and California and the failure of so many actors and actresses they must expect the same from me. I will prove them all wrong.
cjm
-
I just wanted to post that just because you think you are posting anonymously, YOU ARE NOT! Chris knew that I had made a comment in response to one of the blogs, so beware. Hahaha.
I'm glad you got that off your chest, Chris...just remember - you can't keep Kerri's family away by moving to the other side of the country! Mom and I will show our faces, lucky for you.
I have all the faith in your talents as well as my sister's. I know you both will be just fine! Just promise me one thing. You must take me to the Price Is Right!
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
|